Monday, April 30, 2012

Have Fun

As I am sure many of us are, I am guilty of taking life way too seriously most of the time. Little problems are compounded within my mind and become big problems. I worry what other people think of how I look or how I act or what I think. I worry about too many things way too much of the time. I treat issues as if they are life and death or worry if things go wrong it will be the end of the world. I lose perspective and because of this, spend more time being worried, unhappy or frustrated when I should be spending the time relaxed, at peace and happy.

Are things really ever as bad as we make them out to be? Are the problems we face at work really life and death situations? I have written before about the importance of asking ourselves "what's the worst that could happen?", but often forget to follow my own advice. I lose sight of the fact that I have a good job and share an amazing life with a wonderful woman. Could things be better? Probably. Could things be worse? Yes, things could be way, way worse.

I imagine most of us could use a big kick to the ass from time to time to remember life is short and we should have fun while we can. Does this mean we can do anything and everything we want? Of course it doesn't. This means we need to stop taking things so damn seriously all the time. This means we have to remember that very few of our problems are actually life and death. This means that the vast majority of the time, whatever happens, it will not be the end of the world. This means we have to let ourselves have fun.

Spend time doing something you love. Spend time with people you love to be around. Take a day off work for no other reason than it is beautiful outside. Turn off your phone. Stop checking e-mail all the time. Read a book. Go for a walk. Watch a movie. Eat an amazing meal. Do something just because you can. When you are looking back on your life, are you going to remember the e-mails you responded to or the numerous hours you put in at the office or are you going to remember the times you spent with the people you love doing the things you love? What's truly important to you? What type of life do you want? Go out and live it!

No comments:

Post a Comment