Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Just Start


As much as I write about being positive and getting things done, I have trouble with doing both as well. It isn't always easy to have a positive outlook on life. It isn't always easy to get started. I have the same fears you do about the same things you do. What if I fail? What if I am not good enough? What if I can't get it done?

All these thoughts float through my mind and I am getting better at not listening to them, but they are still there. I sometimes have trouble finding the motivation to get things done, be it at work or this blog or other writing or any of the multitude of other things I have in my mind or on my task list. For me, the key isn't about finding the motivation, it's about getting off my ass and starting.

Once I start, I begin to feel the energy flow through my body and I become focused on the task at hand. If I can just get myself to sit at the computer and start typing, words begin to flow when I didn't think they were there. If I force myself to get the lawn mower out and plug it in, then I know I will no longer have any excuse to not mow the lawn. When I start answering that first e-mail, it becomes easier to clear out the in-box. When I focus on chopping that first vegetable, I can start working on the latest recipe.

The next time you start to dread a project or don't feel like doing something you need to do, don't listen to the excuses floating around your head. You will always be able to come up with an excuse to not do something, but when you focus enough to start step one, it becomes much easier to continue on until you finish. Stop wasting time, stop listening to the excuses and fear in your mind and get to work. You are going to feel a lot better once you start ticking things off your to-do list. You don't need motivation, you just need to start. Quit wasting time and get something done.



No comments:

Post a Comment